Every vacation rental owner wants his business to be successful and ensure that the guests have a pleasant stay. As a first-time vacation rental owner, you might be worried about the security aspect of your vacation home. Before any inquiries or bookings start happening, it is imperative to take requisite security measures so as to keep your rental safe.
Some of the security tips that you can apply as a first-time vacation rental owner are listed below:
- Maintain the yard: It is essential to keep the yard clean all the time to give an appearance that guests are living in your vacation rental. Therefore, mow the grass regularly, trim the shrubs, clean the driveway and plant fresh flowers. Apart from this, you also need to make sure that your mailbox does not get full. Pick up all the flyers and advertizing pamphlets left on the front porch.
- Have a secure locking system: Being a vacation rental owner, you must invest in a hi-tech locking system for enhanced safety of your property. Also, double-check if all the doors and windows are locked properly. Never leave an extra key at a place near the front door or in a corner of the yard. Instead, buy a lock box or hand over the extra pair of keys to a trustworthy neighbor.
- Switch on the lights: Install motion sensor lights so that your vacation rental is never plunged into complete darkness. You can also set your home’s lights on a timer to ensure that there is some brightness all the time. Long hours without any light can give the thieves a place to hide easily.
- Take a neighbor’s help: Apart from installing good quality outdoor cameras, it is important to get in touch with a neighbor who can help you regarding the safety your vacation rental. Ask him to inform you whenever he sees something suspicious. Always provide your contact number to the neighbors so that they can contact you if any emergency situation arises in the vacation rental.
- Advertize smartly: Always advertize your vacation rental on trustworthy websites instead of putting up “Vacancy” or “For Rent” signs outside the property. Also, do not put up very detailed photos online as your house number or other vital information can be detrimental for the safety of your property.
It is essential to give the guests a detailed manual that enlists the working of the alarm system installed in your vacation rental. Also, provide your guests with a safe along with a key code so that they can securely put in their valuables over there. You can even talk to them personally and state the importance of locking all the doors and windows whenever they venture out.