November is the perfect time to gear up and prepare your vacation rental for the impending winters. Preparing for the winters early ensures your property is well-protected from icy-conditions or heavy snow and your guests feel comfortable and at home during their holiday.
The following are some tips on how to effectively prepare a vacation rental for winters:
- Deep clean: This is a good time to thoroughly clean your vacation rental and get rid of dirt and grime that has accumulated during summer. Wash the blankets and comforters, clean all the nooks and corners, replace the batteries in remotes, clean up the fireplace, carpet, curtains, flip mattresses and so on. If you find this overwhelming or simply don’t have enough time at your disposal, consider hiring a professional cleaning service.
- Stock up on winter supplies: Stock up on winter essentials like blankets, common medications, shampoo and conditioner, heavy duty brooms, light bulbs, wood, batteries, duvet covers, slippers, robes, hand warmers, eatables like chocolates and so on. This will be immensely helpful for your maintenance team and save a lot of time. Choose gender neutral colors and items when buying the supplies.
- Verify important systems: Schedule a property check-up with your maintenance team and check if all the vital systems of the vacation rental are in order. These include HVAC systems, fireplaces, hot tubs, snow-melt systems, furnace filters and more.
- Invest in weather necessities: If your vacation rental is situated in an area that snows a lot, invest in equipment like a snow shovel or blower. Also buy winter necessities like extra gloves, hand warmers and hats.
- Check the heating needs: It is important for your vacation rental to be heated at an appropriate level throughout winter. For this get a thorough understanding of how your heater works and the temperature it warms up to at specific settings. This will prevent unnecessary freezing and exorbitant heating bills. Keep the number of an on-call emergency contractor if you are not sure about your heating system.
- A few upgrades: Investing in smart technology can prove to be a boon during winter months. Smart technology can help you save money and easily maintain your vacation rental throughout winter. Examples of such upgrades are smart thermostats, smart water sensors, smart locks and more. Even when you are not on your property, you can still remotely monitor it with smart devices.
- Work on the exteriors: In addition to the internal work, there are somethings to be taken care of outdoors. For example, re-caulk window sills and door frames, turn off exterior faucets, disconnect garden hoses, drain sprinkler systems, clean chimney vents, etc. Your vacation rental will instantly look fresh and new with this effort.
For more information, call at (361) 949 – 9050 or visit The Rental Management Company at 14613 South Padre Island Drive, Corpus Christi, TX 78418.