Screening your prospective tenants is imperative to have a positive renting experience. There are a lot of factors that you must consider in order to make sure you are letting your home to the right people. Putting in some efforts upfront can save you a lot of time, money and hassles eventually. Below are some questions that you need to ask before accepting a booking for your vacation rental home:
- Ask all the important questions: It is important to ask specific and open-ended questions to the prospective tenants. It is essential to know about the number of family members who will be coming to stay in your vacation home. You may include questions such as:
- What is the purpose of the trip?
- What is the duration of your stay?
- How many people will be staying in the house?
- Will there be any kids?
- Do you smoke?
- Research important information on the Internet: Research about a specific renter can be done online to clear any doubts that you might have. For instance, try to find his/her residential address through area code lookup or try ‘Reverse Phone Number’ and ‘Reverse Address’ searches to confirm if the information provided by them is correct.
- Be honest: It is important to reveal all the details about your vacation rental home while screening prospective guests. Not hiding the flaws and drawbacks will help in developing mutual trust between both the parties, which is crucial for a pleasant tenancy. Also, being honest will make the tenants more forthcoming in providing all the information requested by you.
- Don’t ask for too many details: While it is important to conduct thorough background checks, you don’t need to go overboard while asking questions from the tenants. It is acceptable to ask for information such as name, address, number of pets and check-in dates and check-out dates. However, there is no requirement of conducting intrusive credit checks and other financial verification. Asking for too much information may keep away potential guests causing your business harm in the longer run.
We, at The Rental Management Company, can help you find suitable tenants for your vacation rental home in Corpus Christi, TX. For more information, feel free to call us at (361) 949 – 9050 or visit our office at 14613 South Padre Island Drive, Corpus Christi, Texas 78418.